Viewing HTML message with Firefox

Jan Eden tech at eden.one
Mon Oct 10 10:27:52 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-10 08:58, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 09Oct2022 09:35, Jan Eden via Mutt-users <mutt-users at mutt.org> wrote:
> > Yes, I did use Chris Green's helper script, and it does work with
> > Epiphany, but not with Firefox.
>
> Maybe it would prefer a "file:///path/to/file.html" URL?
>
> Try some things by hand with the "open" command, see what works. You're
> aware that "open" (MacOS command) accepts a "-a appname" argument to select
> which application gets asked to open the target? You can do comparisons that
> way, or force a preference. [...] Um, your error log suggests you're on
> Linux. IIRC its "open" command is rather different.  Anyway, experiment by
> hand rather than indirectly through the mailcap.

The problem was related to the target dir (/tmp/mutt_attach). Although
it was accessible by the current user, Firefox was not able to display
files at file:///tmp/mutt_attach/file.html – while Epiphany was.

Whatever the reason, I changed the script to store HTML files in
/home/jan/mutt_attach, and Firefox successfully opens
file:///home/jan/mutt_attach/file.html.

Thanks again for all your help,
Jan