Is linewrap dead?

Nacho naqiao at naqiao.hk
Sun Sep 4 12:34:11 UTC 2022

> I smile, that was me. I agree with your point: email use is getting
> relegated to corporate settings, dealing with banks/utilities, some
> services (newsletters).

It's worse than that: what is being relegated by most people is reading and
writing "complex texts" (i.e. more than a few lines), and performing "complex
tasks" as attaching a few images to an email or using a paper map; this is going
backwards in the development of the Western human psyche, it's a very serious
issue, but too much off topic for this list.

Apart from that, the big difference between using whatsapp or email is that
with email you get independence: I have my own email servers using my own
domains that just a court can take away from me, use the OS and MTA of my choice
that I can modify and compile from source, set up my spam filters, webmail and
everything else just the way I want, and everything works the way I want.

It's like being the owner of my own piece of land or just a poor peasant in
somebody's else huge land.