Is linewrap dead?

Jan Eden tech at eden.one
Sat Sep 3 10:33:04 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-03 00:46, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 07:45:05PM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
> > Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2022
> > at 19:35:15 EDT in <20220831233515.GF13385 at bladeshadow.org>:
> >
> > Evaluating the strength of a SHOULD requires looking at pragmatic
> > realities. And that reality is that lots of messages are sent
> > without hard line wraps.
>
> That's true but the vast majority of that is HTML mail, which has
> entirely different set of formatting rules and display parameters, and
> again, not applicable here.

While I find this thread quite entertaining, we should accept that we
are an increasingly small group of people who care not just about plain
text email (and its formatting), but about email in general.

Over at gnupg-users, there was a recent discussion about the Washington
Post's malformed PGP key, and one participant summarized the situation
pretty well:

"It would be interesting to see how long the key has been there in such a
state. If the answer is “a long time”, that is quite a field report: it
means signal and whatsapp (!) are more popular options (way more popular
options) than PGP + email for secure communications."
(https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2022-August/066156.html)

This is obviously not limited to *secure* communications (as many
people do not care about security).

Apologies for the digression.

- Jan