Is linewrap dead?

Jan Eden tech at eden.one
Tue Aug 30 07:09:34 UTC 2022

On 2022-08-29 19:07, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
> On 2022-08-29, Logan Rathbone wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 10:43:45AM EDT, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
> >> No, format=flowed sounds like the perfect solution but I've tested and
> >> as far as I can tell it's ignored by gmail on Android, for example.
> >
> > FWIW, the solution/compromise I ended up using was to compose
> > multipart/alternative mails with mutt, sending a very simple HTML mail
> > and a standard hard-wrapped text-based mail as well. So mobile
> > mailreaders can read it perfectly, and desktop users can read the
> > plaintext version correctly as well.
> >

> Hmm thanks, that does work - I don't like the idea of sending html
> parts, but clearly a compromise is necessary somewhere!

I would consider f=f an acceptable compromise, because while it looks
nicer on (some) mail clients, it breaks automatic list indentation
created in vim (fo-n). The following is displayed properly in mutt with
linebreaks, but the indentation obviously gets messed up with
text_flowed=yes [mutt] and formatoptions=ntwcql [vim].

1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean
   commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus
   et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
2. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem.
   Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel,
   aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu.

Creating HTML mail with mutt feels more like a surrender. :)

Apart from the known drawbacks of HTML mail, the markdown2html script
has a couple of requirements to further complicate my (already overly
complex) mailstack.

- Jan