mutt 1.05 TLS socket terminated?

Tom Fowle wa6ivgtf at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 25 03:57:34 UTC 2019

Since I posted this problem, I did a
apt-get update
for other reasons and the tls problem seems to have disappeared.
(So far anyhow)

Tom Fowle WA6IVG

Using mutt 1.5.23 with Debian 8 jessie.
I am getting the following problem while reading messages.

approximately:
"The TLS socket was improperly terminated.
can not copy messages."

This appears on the screen for only just long enough for my screen reader to
grab it but dissappears before I can copy or check it..

I then have the usual top line menu and a blank screen.

Being simplistic by nature I just exit mutt and restart but all messages
which have been marked for deletion remain in the inbox and unless i have
kept carefull track of the last read message number before the TLS error I
have to trundle through all the previously read messages till I find the
first unmarked message.

This problem is becomming more frequent, often two occurrences in a
hundred message session.

Before I get into just updating mutt and debian as the most likely
resolutions, would like to know if this is a known problem and whether the
mutt or "OS" updates are more likely to fix it.

PLS don't yell at me for not being up to date,  I hate updating.  So now I'm
paying the price.

TNX
Tom Fowle WA6IVG