Composing ask From: address and arbitrary keys in PGP

Ryan Smith GTC at riseup.net
Thu Aug 1 05:09:49 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-26 21:36, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 05:12:08AM +0000, GTC at riseup.net wrote:
>> 1. When composing messages, mutt ask To: or recipient adress and
>> Subject and then go to editor. How to make mutt ask for From: or
>> sender address only and then go to editor?
>>
> The typical way to do this is with send hooks or folder hooks.  Use
> my_hdr in one of those hooks to set the From: line.

It only works on reply messages, but not composing new messages as I
explained in my previous messages about mutt compose flow.

>> 2. In PGP, mutt has crypt_opportunistic_encrypt to select keys based
>> on To: address to the recipient. But PGP also need From: address or
>> sender's key to encrypt messages, sign messages or even attch their
>> own public key. By default, mutt uses system default key or oldest
>> key created for encryption, sign messages or attach public key.
>
> Same answer as above, but instead set pgp_sign_as.  If need be you can
> use a hook to set your pgp_encrypt_only_command and/or
> pgp_encrypt_sign_command (and set the ID to use in those, or use a
> different gnupg options file, etc.).

Again It only works on reply messages, but not composing new messages as
I explained in my previous messages.

Hence, asking From: address before getting into editor is very important
for multiple email accounts or identities setting and mutt should have
such a feature.

If it asks To: and Subject:, why not From:? If people do not like it,
mutt should also provide syntax to turn each section or all sections
off.