Unsubscribing from mailing-list threads (was: Preferred way to get imap emails)

Samir Benmendil me at rmz.io
Tue Jul 30 07:53:10 UTC 2019

On Jul 30, 2019 at 7:40, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> A solution must be based on some kind of a local "database" file of
> threads marked as "bad" threads (perhaps as patterns) and one must
> actively store the given "bad" thread into it, for example with <ESC>M
> and then a <ESC>D would later, even in the next mutt session, read
> this "database" file and delete all threads from the actual mailbox
> for all patterns in it.

Would it be possible to keep this information in the email by, say,
adding a header to it. And have mutt mark any message whose parent
contains this header as read.

Something like this as a macro or hook (untested):

    <tag-pattern>~h X-Mark-Thread-Read\n<tag-prefix-cond><read-subthread>

An external tool can probably add the header if mutt can't do it.

One could also (ab)use the spam detection mechanism

    spam "X-Mark-Thread-Read" "100/NotInterested"

I'm reading this out of the NeoMutt manual, I suppose Mutt has similar
functionality.