Preferred way to get imap emails

Pankaj Jangid pankaj.jangid at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 18:38:51 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 12:54:04PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> Because this again is how IMAP works--you're meant to read the message
> off the server, and it's downloaded on demand.  If you had to
> pre-fetch all the messages, this could take a very long time,
> especially if you were looking at an extremely large mailbox for the
> first time, and it contained very large messages.  With typically
> short messages on fast networks, you usually should not notice much
> delay, and with larger messages you only incur the wait time when you
> actually want to look at the message.  If you have a high latency
> connection, it may be worth pre-syncing and reading locally.

Fair enough reasons. But still I feel that if mutt implements 'imap'
then it should include the features like prefetching. Some kind of
strategy could be though of about which emails to fetch first. My take
is unread messages should be pre-fetched first.

> If you want to pre-sync your mailbox and read it locally, that would
> be why you would use fetchmail, mbsync, etc..  Mutt doesn't need to do
> that for you since there are already plenty of things that do.

There are plenty of things for fetching. Agree. But the same logic may
apply to the mutt's imap implementation also. Why do it?

--
Pankaj
Planet Earth.

""
If you don't drink it, someone else will.