Can I backup MH mail incrementally?

Luciano ES lucmove at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 16:47:34 UTC 2019

I want to archive almost all of my email in MH mail boxes to an external disk. The idea is to free up space in the running disk.

I thought I could just move ~/Mail to external and start with a new empty Mail directory, but then I realized I want to do incremental backups in the future and I have no idea how to do that. The MH format relies on message file names which are numbers in a sequence. If I just start with an empty directory (and there are many directories, which become "folders" in mutt), new messages will be named/numbered 1, 2, 3... all over again. Then I won't be able to just add them to the master backup with rsync.

MH also has .mh_sequences files that manage what messages have been opened or replied. I see no way of syncing that information either.

Any ideas?

--
Luciano ES