Preferred way to get imap emails

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sun Jul 28 08:03:13 UTC 2019

On 28.07.19 12:21, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 27Jul2019 22:40, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj.jangid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 11:41:52AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > I still use fetchmail and with imap accounts including google.  and
> > > have no problem.
> > >
> > Probably I'll try it again. This was my favourite tool. But then I check
> > that there is no change in the repository since very long. I was worried
> > if this is still maintained or not.
>
> Maybe it is stable :-)

Indeed, with all of us using it happy and content.

My use of fetchmail and procmail differs from Matthias' only in the
omission of spamassassin, and having procmail deliver to about ten
inboxes, one for each list, one for family, and the default. Mutt then
presents them in the priority order I have selected, so that I first see what
I need to see, without having to wade through two thousand mails in one
nightmare jungle after a fortnight out on the farm. (I am at a loss to
comprehend how it is possible to deal with one chaotic dump, especially
without having a heart attack or failing to respond to important mail,
lost in the flood.)

Instead of spamassassin, I've made do with a bunch of procmail recipes,
which only let about one spam per week through. Another recipe weeds a
high traffic list, dumping stuff that won't interest me.

Erik