Mutt using https webmail service

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Mon Jul 8 22:22:08 UTC 2019

On 08Jul2019 18:19, Jose Isaias Cabrera <jicman at outlook.com> wrote:
>I have not used mutt in a while, but I used to, and loved it.  I am
>trying to see if mutt can be setup to read outlook, gmail, hotmail,
>yahoo, etc., webmail mail services.  The
>reason why I say "web-services" it's because I am behind a firewall,
>and I can cheat the system to get webmail, but not to get pop or smtp
>services.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Not really. Mutt has no web browsing facility, and even if it did all
these services just render arbitrary HTML on a web page - there's no
consistency; worse, most of it requires javascript.

However, almost all of these offer POP or IMAP support.

If you can get HTTPS through your firewall (assuming so since you can
access a web mail interface) and you have an outside machine which
accepts ssh connections, you could tunnel an ssh connection over HTTPS
either directly using port 443 or indirectly through a proxy using ssh's
CONNECT tunnel support.  You can use that to either (a) just run mutt on
the outside machine and connect to the services from there or (b) do
port forwards over the ssh connection to each service's POP/IMAP
facility, and run mutt locally connected to the local end of the port
forward.

Note that any fiddling like this may be in violation of your employment
contract (by, apparently, violating the security policy the firewall is
trying to implement), and you must make your own decision about whether
this is forbidden or unwelcome or irrelevant.

You may generally be better choosing to run mutt on the external
machine. It is less fiddly because you can use POP/IMAP directly from
there instead of arranging port forwards, and it also keeps your
activity entirely outside the workplace. Of course, even connecting to
the outside machine may violate some policy, and you're back in "is that
relevant" territory.

But it makes for a much cleaner separation of work data from personal
data, and that is worthwhile regardless.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>