Making attachments [Was: Re: order of sending mail and saving to fcc

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 16 05:34:00 UTC 2019

On 16.06.19 09:48, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> I compose with edit_headers=yes, so recipients and subject are part of the
> temporary file.
>
> Also, I attach using the Attach: pseudo header, so the attachment filename
> is also part of the temp file. Provided I haven't exited the compose mode
> (when the Attach: headers turn into actual mutt attachments) I don't lose
> that state either. (I've also got fcc_attach=yes, might be handy too.)
>
> And to ease using the Attach: header I have this vi macro:
>
>  map ^A 1G}-:.r!exec </dev/tty 2>/dev/tty; readline -B 'Attach: '^MIAttach: ^[
>
> Those are literal ctrl-A, ctrl-M, ctrl-[ (escape) in the macro. This means
> that I just type ctrl-A to commence an attachment and I get a file competion
> capable prompt to fill out the filename.

That looks quite useful. There's also the CheckAttach vim plugin, by
Christian Brabandt. It detects words such as "attached" in the
email body, then prompts on exit to mutt, repeating until no further
attachment paths are provided - thereby doing the remembering too. It
doesn't trigger on quoted text. The set of trigger words is
configurable. It also uses an "Attach:" header.

You'd think that someone who rereads before sending wouldn't forget that
an attachment was intended, but I have found its memory useful on more
than one occasion, especially on longish emails.

Erik