providing imap_pass but not from ~/.muttrc

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Jun 13 18:56:33 UTC 2019

I often use SSH to connect to my rented VM space of my ISP (which gets me to a
Linux server) and I do use mutt from there to check my mails or even to
answer, esp. when I do not have my FreeBSD netbook with full Internet and all
mails up.

I do not want to set 'imap_pass=...' and such values in the ~/.muttrc on
this VM. Is there any other way to provide such credentials without to
key them in on start of mutt, for example based on an environment
variable which I could route to the VM through the SSH session like:

$ ssh -At www.unixarea.de imap_pass=abc bash --login
Thu Jun 13 20:44:51 CEST 2019
sh4-5:~$ env | grep imap
imap_pass=abc

Any other ideas? The SSH access is RSA based, i.e. without any password,
and the private key comes from my OpenPGP card. Best solution would be to
use this key as well for the IMAP authentication somehow.

Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!