Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Sat Jun 8 03:07:37 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-07 05:08, Frank Watt wrote:

> When I look at the headers of most mail, I see an mbox-style From
> line. Where do we make use of the 'reformat -f0' and "Return-Path"
> advice?

In the stream of data that ends up on the standard input of the delivery
agent (procmail, maildrop, whatever).

If fetchmail -m works the same as an MTA directed by .forward to hand
over a message to a delivery agent, then fetchmail sets up a pipe from
itself to the delivery agent, so the delivery agent reads a single
message on its standard input. Some MTAs precede the message with an
mbox-style From_ line; some don't. Fetchmail may or may not add a From_
line.

You can find out by having fetchmail hand the message to a script that
you write, which both saves a copy of its stdin and passes it on to a
delivery agent. The script would be something like this:

#!/bin/sh

tee -a $HOME/fetchmail.test | maildrop