Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Patrick Shanahan paka at opensuse.org
Sat Jun 8 00:11:39 UTC 2019

* Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> [06-07-19 19:43]:
> On 07Jun2019 07:37, Patrick Shanahan <paka at opensuse.org> wrote:
> > * Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> [06-07-19 07:24]:
> > > It does look that way. I left procmail because I disliked its rule
> > > syntax,
> > > its totally regexp based matching system (ok for subject lines, ghastly for
> > > email addresses) and the performance cost incurred by it rereading the
> > > filter files from scratch on every message processed. I've got about 2000
> > > filing rules myself - procmail starts to scale badly for that.
> >
> > <secret>
> > adjust the order of your rules so that the most likely matchs appear at
> > the top of the rc file
> > </secret>
>
> I'm aware of that technique. I expect to multifile my email; almost all my
> rules are not match-and-stop, they're match-and-continue. I do have some
> critical match-and-stop rules at the front, but they are few.
>
> As an example, an email to me personally and also CCed to a list needs to
> land in my inbox (because it is for my attention) but also in the mailing
> list folder (for archiving and general well filedness). So, match and
> continue.

and I abhor receiving duplicate mail.  I read a list and communicate there
and notice email there.  personal mail goes to my inbox, list mail is not
personal and list communication should normally be conducted there.  be we
all have different expectations and utilize linux to achieve them.  :)

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo		    paka @ IRCnet freenode