Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Jun 5 10:32:02 UTC 2019

On 05Jun2019 19:56, Erik Christiansen <dvalin at internode.on.net> wrote:
>On 05.06.19 21:30, Frank Watt wrote:
>> I wasn't clear.  I'm quite content with an old mutt, but I've come to
>> the end of the line with sendmail (which I can't get to work, though
>> it used to work).
>
>I'm impressed. When I finally switched to postfix around 15 years ago, I
>thought I might be one of the last sendmail users. (The vulnerabilities
>reported back then were sufficient motive, despite many years of happy
>sendmail use.) Postfix has a sendmail compatibility interface, and so I
>administer it rather like sendmail, after set-up with postfix config.

Yeah, I'm a postfix person too. It is a lot more approachable. I tend to
put all my local settings at the top of /etc/postfix/main.cf and you're
basicly there.

That said, nullmailer looks like a great idea. This URL looks quite
encouraging:

  http://troubleshooters.com/linux/nullmailer/

As you say, provided your mutt's already configured to send with the
sendmail command, it will just work. (Though this is true with most UNIX
mail systems - they all provide a sendmail executable for mail
submission.)

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?
- Toby Zeigler, _The_West_Wing_ - Election Night