Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Frank Watt youngoldbloke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 09:30:51 UTC 2019

Christian Brabant wrote:

| On Di, 04 Jun 2019, Frank Watt wrote:

[.....]

| > Were I to install nullmailer, it would remove sendmail, but is
| > that any use with a 9 year old mutt?  I find everything I need in
| > it.  Would it work to reinstall the old mutt deb after replacing
| > sendmail with nullmailer?  I get the impression that the deb
| > configures the installation to use the mta present at the time.
|
| Yes, because it listens on your port 25, which can of course be only
| one single pakage. Therefore the different MTAs conflict each
| other. If you are satisifed with sendmail and it does everything you
| need, I wouldn't change it.

I wasn't clear.  I'm quite content with an old mutt, but I've come to
the end of the line with sendmail (which I can't get to work, though
it used to work).

What I'm thinking of doing is remove the old mutt package; install
nullmailer (which process deletes sendmail (not sorry to see that go);
then reinstall the 9-year old mutt package.  I'd assume I'd have to
make some edits to Muttrc &/or ~/.mutt.rc to specify my ISP's SMTP
server.  The man muttrc is dated 2002!!

Would that really work?  It's an attractive idea, avoiding the
complications of compiling new code with ancient functionality and
getting rid of sendmail's idiosynchracies. Is there any reason not to
try?

| regards,
| Christian
| --
| Those who don't understand Linux are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.
| 		-- unidentified source

It's hard work inventing that has been done by much more talented folk
already. :-(

Frank