order of sending mail and saving to fcc

Jack M jack at forallx.net
Tue Jun 4 22:12:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, June 4, 2019 10:46 am, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2019-06-04, Jack M <jack at forallx.net> wrote:
>

>> The reason (or *a* reason) is that the old way led to the following
>> situation: Fcc first, then try to send, something weird happens, but
>> the user has no idea whether the mail was actually sent or not
>
> How could the user not know?

Very easily.

> If the send fails, mutt prints an error message and stays on the message
compose screen.

The part starting with "and" is not always true, though.  I've been bitten
several times by mutt flashing an error message so quickly that I can't
read it, and then immediately showing an empty inbox with a completely
different error message about a lost connection to the IMAP server.

-jack