Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Frank Watt youngoldbloke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 00:24:33 UTC 2019

On 3/06/19 2:00 AM, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
[...]
> Lastly, the latest mutt releases have started to bump up system
> requirements:
>   * If your gpgme library is too old and you don't use gpgme,
>     you can just leave '--enable-gpgme' out.
>   * If your OpenSSL version is too old, you could try '--with-gnutls'
>     instead of '--with-ssl'
>   * An old system likely does not come with idn2, so you would
>     want to use '--with-idn' instead.

I had to leave out gpgme, but I had a problem with

configure: error: no curses library found

There are many packages available with 'curses' in the name, some of
them are installed, but I don't know if any of them would be the issue.
It's a bit long to experiment with.

(The list doesn't display well in Thunderbird, but with any luck,
someone will be able to spot which I'm missing)

p   ekg2-ui-ncurses                               - instant messenger
and IRC client for UNIX systems - ncu
p   ekg2-ui-ncurses:i386                          - instant messenger
and IRC client for UNIX systems - ncu
p   fizmo-ncursesw                                - Ncurses-based
Z-machine interpreter for Infocom/Inform
p   fizmo-ncursesw:i386                           - Ncurses-based
Z-machine interpreter for Infocom/Inform
p   lib32ncurses5                                 - shared libraries for
terminal handling (32-bit)
p   lib32ncurses5-dev                             - developer's
libraries for ncurses (32-bit)
p   lib32ncursesw5                                - shared libraries for
terminal handling (wide character
p   lib32ncursesw5-dev                            - developer's
libraries for ncursesw (32-bit)
p   lib64ncurses5:i386                            - shared libraries for
terminal handling (64-bit)
p   lib64ncurses5-dev:i386                        - developer's
libraries for ncurses (64-bit)
p   libcunit1-ncurses                             - Unit Testing Library
for C (ncurses)
p   libcunit1-ncurses:i386                        - Unit Testing Library
for C (ncurses)
p   libcunit1-ncurses-dev                         - Unit Testing Library
for C (ncurses) -- development fil
p   libcunit1-ncurses-dev:i386                    - Unit Testing Library
for C (ncurses) -- development fil
p   libghc-ncurses-dev                            - Haskell bindings to
the GNU ncurses library
p   libghc-ncurses-dev:i386                       - Haskell bindings to
the GNU ncurses library
v   libghc-ncurses-dev-0.2.1-62800:i386           -

v   libghc-ncurses-dev-0.2.1-778a0                -

p   libghc-ncurses-doc                            - Haskell bindings to
the GNU ncurses library; documentat
p   libghc-ncurses-prof                           - Haskell bindings to
the GNU ncurses library; profiling
p   libghc-ncurses-prof:i386                      - Haskell bindings to
the GNU ncurses library; profiling
v   libghc-ncurses-prof-0.2.1-62800:i386          -

v   libghc-ncurses-prof-0.2.1-778a0               -

p   libkaya-ncurses-dev                           - Ncurses binding for
kaya
p   libkaya-ncurses-dev:i386                      - Ncurses binding for
kaya
p   libkaya-ncursesw-dev                          - Ncurses binding for
kaya
p   libkaya-ncursesw-dev:i386                     - Ncurses binding for
kaya
v   libncurses-dev                                -

v   libncurses-dev:i386                           -

p   libncurses-gst                                - Ncurses bindings for
GNU Smalltalk
i   libncurses5                                   - shared libraries for
terminal handling
i   libncurses5:i386                              - shared libraries for
terminal handling
p   libncurses5-dbg                               - debugging/profiling
libraries for ncurses
p   libncurses5-dbg:i386                          - debugging/profiling
libraries for ncurses
p   libncurses5-dev                               - developer's
libraries for ncurses
p   libncurses5-dev:i386                          - developer's
libraries for ncurses
p   libncursesada-dbg                             - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: debu
p   libncursesada-dbg:i386                        - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: debu
p   libncursesada-doc                             - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: docu
p   libncursesada2                                - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: shar
p   libncursesada2:i386                           - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: shar
p   libncursesada2-dev                            - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: deve
p   libncursesada2-dev:i386                       - Ada binding to the
ncurses text interface library: deve
i   libncursesw5                                  - shared libraries for
terminal handling (wide character
i   libncursesw5:i386                             - shared libraries for
terminal handling (wide character
p   libncursesw5-dbg                              - debugging/profiling
libraries for ncursesw
p   libncursesw5-dbg:i386                         - debugging/profiling
libraries for ncursesw
p   libncursesw5-dev                              - developer's
libraries for ncursesw
p   libncursesw5-dev:i386                         - developer's
libraries for ncursesw
p   libx32ncurses5                                - shared libraries for
terminal handling (x32)
p   libx32ncurses5:i386                           - shared libraries for
terminal handling (x32)
p   libx32ncurses5-dev                            - developer's
libraries for ncurses (x32)
p   libx32ncurses5-dev:i386                       - developer's
libraries for ncurses (x32)
p   libx32ncursesw5                               - shared libraries for
terminal handling (wide character
p   libx32ncursesw5:i386                          - shared libraries for
terminal handling (wide character
p   libx32ncursesw5-dev                           - developer's
libraries for ncursesw (x32)
p   libx32ncursesw5-dev:i386                      - developer's
libraries for ncursesw (x32)
i   ncurses-base                                  - basic terminal type
definitions
v   ncurses-base:i386                             -

i   ncurses-bin                                   - terminal-related
programs and man pages
p   ncurses-bin:i386                              - terminal-related
programs and man pages
v   ncurses-dev                                   -

v   ncurses-dev:i386                              -

p   ncurses-doc                                   - developer's guide
and documentation for ncurses
p   ncurses-examples                              - test programs and
examples for ncurses
p   ncurses-examples:i386                         - test programs and
examples for ncurses
p   ncurses-hexedit                               - Edit files/disks in
hex, ASCII and EBCDIC
p   ncurses-hexedit:i386                          - Edit files/disks in
hex, ASCII and EBCDIC
v   ncurses-runtime                               -

v   ncurses-runtime:i386                          -

i   ncurses-term                                  - additional terminal
type definitions
v   ncurses-term:i386                             -

p   ruby-ncurses                                  - ruby extension for
the ncurses C library
p   ruby-ncurses:i386                             - ruby extension for
the ncurses C library

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank