Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sun Jun 2 14:00:40 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 02, 2019 at 09:51:25PM +1200, Frank Watt wrote:
>On 2/06/19 9:07 PM, Jens John wrote:> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019, at 05:36,
>Frank Watt wrote:
>> [1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mutt#n21
>
>That's just the sort of information I was seeking.  Thanks for the tip.

That's a good starting place.  However, I would suggest using
  --prefix=/usr/local
and removing
  --sysconfdir=/etc
to make sure things are installed separately from rpm-managed files.

Also,
  --enable-debug
is good to have, in case you run into problems.

Lastly, the latest mutt releases have started to bump up system
requirements:
  * If your gpgme library is too old and you don't use gpgme,
    you can just leave '--enable-gpgme' out.
  * If your OpenSSL version is too old, you could try '--with-gnutls'
    instead of '--with-ssl'
  * An old system likely does not come with idn2, so you would
    want to use '--with-idn' instead.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy