Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Frank Watt youngoldbloke at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 09:51:25 UTC 2019

On 2/06/19 9:07 PM, Jens John wrote:> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019, at 05:36,
Frank Watt wrote:
 >> Am I to assume that I would have had sendmail in my environment at the
 >> time the deb was installed?  So I'd need to remove it so that I can
 >> compile mutt with built-in SMTP.  What else would I need to bear in
 >> mind?
 >>
 >> I'm a bit apprehensive about compiling code outside the control of a
 >> package manager, but I can't see a way around it -- unless someone has
 >> made a more recent .deb.
 >
 > (Why not just upgrade your Debian or Ubuntu release?)
There's nothing newer I can find:

https://sources.debian.org/patches/mutt/1.5.23-3/

 > Anyway, whether sendmail (or compatible provider of it, such as
 > postfix) is installed at compile time has, if I see it correctly, no
 > bearing on whether the built-in SMTP client will be compiled or
 > not. Just remember to select the configure flags you need – you
 > likely want TLS support – and perhaps install into /usr/local or
 > /opt/mutt if you compile from source.

Yes, I understood that.  I mentioned sendmail because it evidently isn't
set in Muttrc or ~/.muttrc so I figured it happened when the .deb was
installed.   Since I don't have any  other use for sendmail, should I
delete it?

 > A reasonable set of configure flags yielding a versatile mutt can
e.g. be found at [1].

 > ---
 > [1]
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mutt#n21

That's just the sort of information I was seeking.  Thanks for the tip.

Frank