Compiling a newer version than the latest .deb package

Jens John lists at 2ion.de
Sun Jun 2 09:07:05 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019, at 05:36, Frank Watt wrote:
> Am I to assume that I would have had sendmail in my environment at the
> time the deb was installed?  So I'd need to remove it so that I can
> compile mutt with built-in SMTP.  What else would I need to bear in
> mind?
>
> I'm a bit apprehensive about compiling code outside the control of a
> package manager, but I can't see a way around it -- unless someone has
> made a more recent .deb.

(Why not just upgrade your Debian or Ubuntu release?)

Anyway, whether sendmail (or compatible provider of it, such as postfix) is installed at compile time has, if I see it correctly, no bearing on whether the built-in SMTP client will be compiled or not. Just remember to select the configure flags you need – you likely want TLS support – and perhaps install into /usr/local or /opt/mutt if you compile from source.

A reasonable set of configure flags yielding a versatile mutt can e.g. be found at [1].

---
[1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mutt#n21