Can I do this (should I do this) with Mutt?

John Long codeblue at inbox.lv
Wed May 22 15:55:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, 22 May 2019 15:40:15 +0000
"Dan Ciprus (dciprus)" <dciprus at cisco.com> wrote:

> If you are a mobile user then things are a bit more complex.

I have machines in two countries (work and home) and I like to have all
the email in both places so I can get to it.

I have a subset of the accounts on a phone also.

> If you prefer to have your emails/accounts stored at the same place -
> desktop machine for example
> - then offlineimap/fetchmail/mbsync is your way to go. There is no
> limit on user accounts with this solution. Things might get a bit
> more complex when it comes to gmail accounts where daddy Google needs
> to have a control even on what keys you are pressing - disabled
> pop3/imap support.

I'm a google-avoidist, so no additional burden there ;)

> As far as searching this mess: notmuch would be something I would
> recommend ..

To be honest I don't search much. If I do, I just use grep in a shell
and then figure out how to find the email in the client.

> HTML support - unfortunately for us, this is going to get worse in
> coming years. People seem to like more colors/fonts/pictures than
> actual value of the thought put in to the text person is sending.

That's exactly my impression.

> You can have external browser showing you the email - that's for viewing
> it. For editing it - I have not found better solution than writing
> markdown and then translating it via pandoc to html format. With this
> editing you will obviously break an email which you are responding
> to ...

No problem, they deserve it. Anybody dumb enough to send me HTML is
going to be lucky to get a reply at all. And if they do get a reply
it's going to be ASCII text with their POS HTML garbled as a quoted
response :P

/jl