Wanted: complex "mutt -s ..." example

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sun May 12 22:35:37 UTC 2019

On 12May2019 14:58, Paul Gilmartin <PaulGBoulder at aim.com> wrote:
>> I suspect for what you want you're better off writing a small Python
>> programme to assemble a message and deliver it to the local MTA.
>>
>I've done similar in the past, crafting my message according
>to RFC 822 and RFC 1521 and piping it to "sendmail -toi".
>
>But then I had a clever admin who configured sendmail for me.
>Now I must learn to translate .muttrc:
>    set smtp_url="smtps://PaulGBoulder@SMTP.GMail.com:465/"
>    set smtp_pass="(redacted)"
>to sendmail.cf.
>
>Or is there a way I could use mutt as a sendmail "proxy" and rely on
>what's already in .muttrc?
>
>(sendmail?  postfix?  ...?)

I find it useful to configure the local MTA on my laptop anyway; my mutt
just delivers locally. That way I can compose and dispatch email when
offline (eg on a train) and it just queues and goes when back online.
Also, everything else on the machine which uses email (such as cron) can
deliver email too, for free!

Case in point: my Mac here comes with postfix preinstalled from the
vendor, one just suitably modifies /etc/postfix/main.cf. I deliver to
the local ISP's SMTP service. (Actually, since the laptop moves, this
involves a local haproxy and a Byzantine system of ssh tunnels etc, but
that's by the by.)

So the local sendmail command is my proxy, and mutt doesn't know
anything special.

Ian's suggestion, though, sounds like what you want.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>