Inbox folder doesn't work anymore

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Tue May 7 17:43:22 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-07 12:13, Luciano ES wrote:

>> Does the Inbox folder contain the standard maildir style directories:
>> cur, new, tmp ? Unread messages should be inside 'new', read messages
>> inside 'cur'.
>>

> Hi. There used to be cur, new, tmp. There shouldn't be because it is
> all MH. So I decided to delete them. Only Inbox had them. Sure enough,
> now mutt can see the contents of Inbox.

An MH folder is a directory containing a file for each message; the
filenames are numbers. There's also, optionally, a file named
".mh_sequences" that contains one or two message attributes ("unseen",
and Mutt adds "replied"), plus user-specified groupings of messages. I
believe Mutt will not recognize this as an MH folder if the file
.mh_sequences is absent. So that might be part of your problem.

But maildir would probably be a better choice for your main inbox.
Maildir does random access, concurrent access, and spooling of incoming
messages. MH format does only random access. When you use MH format for
your inbox, how is new incoming mail delivered?