mutt and MH -- bug? oddity?

hymie at lactose.homelinux.net hymie at lactose.homelinux.net
Sun May 5 14:35:38 UTC 2019

Greetings.

I've discovered an issue with mutt and MH.  I don't know if it's
an intentional decision, or a bug, or a config option I missed, or what.

Backstory:

I primarily use MH to manage my email, but I use mutt to manage
new incoming email, where I will read (and maybe reply) or delete it,
and then save it to my MH maildir.

My primary MH "inbox" folder was up in the 75,000-message range.  So
I erased a bunch of email, and I sorted and filed a bunch of email, and
I got my folder down to 30,000 , and ran the "folder -pack" command to
renumber all of my emails.

However, when I finish with a mutt session and save my new incoming
emails, mutt is still assigning my new emails numbers in the old 75,000
range.

Conclusion:

After doing some troubleshooting, I determined that mutt is using
**both** my current valid email numbers (in the 30,000 range) **and**
my previously-rmm'd email numbers (which are still in the ,75000
range, because the "folder -pack" command does not adjust them) to
decide how the new email should be numbered.

I found this at line 1726 of mh.c , where it takes the name of each
file, and if the first character is a comma, it advances one character
and continues on its way.

It's not a huge problem, but it doesn't match the standard MH practice
(which ignores the comma files), and it's throwing me off when the email
numbers jump from 30,000 to 75,000 .

Was this an intenional decision?

--hymie!