How to not disable the showing of hostname in message-id?

Mike Coddington mike at coddington.us
Sun Mar 17 22:27:22 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 11:45:51AM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set `hidden-host` to yes. But the hostname still shows up.
>
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#hidden-host
>
> I don't want to use the following solution as it still shows the
> hostname even it is fake.

> Could anybody let me know if there is a way to disable the appearance
> of hostname in message-id? Thanks.

RFC 5322 says that a message ID must be globally unique. It's suggested
to use your hostname as it is almost guaranteed to be unique. You're
going to have to have something after the @ sign, so if you don't want
to use your hostname, you're going to have to have something "fake."
Here's a link to RFC 5322 so you can see what the requirements are for
message IDs. You're really making it difficult on yourself to change
this; consider how important it actually is.

Good luck! If it were me doing this, I'd do what they recommend on that
Arch Linux forum post. That seems simple enough and keeps things
compliant.

--
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!
                -- Amalgamated Plastic Surgeons and Toolmakers, Ltd.