slow startup

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Thu Dec 20 18:05:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 06:14:31PM +0900, Kenichi Asai wrote:
>My guess is that mutt automatically checks some machine or network
>configuration and wait 5 seconds for time out before starting.  Does
>mutt do such things?  How can I learn about them?

In 1.6.0, mutt was changed to determine the fully-qualified hostname at
startup using gethostname() and getaddrinfo().  The delay could be if DNS
isn't configured correctly.

On Linux, a workaround is to add an entry to /etc/hosts:
  127.0.1.1   myhost.mydomain  myhost

I'm not sure how the equivalent is done on MacOS.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy