Hide a message?

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sat Dec 15 04:49:05 UTC 2018

Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>On 2018-12-13 13:05, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
>
>> Whether to use IMAP at all -- well, one reason to use IMAP, even if
>> you have direct access to the mail files, is so you can use any mail
>> reader, not just one. When various mail readers read and write files
>> directly, even file formats that are supposedly the same, the mail
>> readers may not do it compatibly with each other. That's especially
>> true of mbox, which is actually many related file formats, not just
>> one.
>>
>> Also, IMAP allows concurrent access. Direct access to files by a mail
>> reader many or may not implement concurrent access.
>
>I copy message files from the new/ part of my spool on the server to my
>local box for reading.  Since this is just a file copy the lock-freedom
>of the maildir format avoids any concurrency problems.
>
>I agree that there are good reasons to use IMAP, but none of them seem
>to apply to me :)

How about accessing your mail archives from a mobile device, for a reason?

That is probably the only reason I have my procmail deliver mail
to IMAP-accessible mboxes instead of elsewhere.

AquaMail is of course inferior to mutt but running a SSH-client with
mutt inside is still not convenient on a smartphone.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/