segfault causes system freeze

Jörg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Thu Nov 22 15:09:50 UTC 2018

steve hat am Do 22. Nov, 15:45 (+0100) geschrieben:
> Le 21-11-2018, à 23:10:51 +0100, Jörg Sommer a écrit :
>
> > > This does not tell me anything (I'm not a developer). Do you think I should
> > > open a bug report on the Debian BTS?
> >
> > Yes, this would be helpful. Do you have gdb installed? Can you run
> > `coredumpctl debug` and run `bt full` on the gdb prompt? This output would
> > be very helpful for the developer to see, what was the state before the
> > crash.
>
> Ok, I attached the output of 'bt full' in gdb. Doesn't speak to me :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
>

> #0  0x00005592c9a59c68 in index_make_entry (s=0x7fff20afb090 "", l=1024, menu=<optimized out>, num=<optimized out>) at ../../curs_main.c:300
>         h = 0x5592cbef1670
>         flag = (MUTT_FORMAT_TREE | MUTT_FORMAT_MAKEPRINT | MUTT_FORMAT_ARROWCURSOR | MUTT_FORMAT_INDEX)
>         edgemsgno = 40
>         reverse = <optimized out>
>         tmp = <optimized out>

This is here
https://sources.debian.org/src/mutt/1.7.2-1+deb9u1/curs_main.c/#L300 and
in the current version (of neomutt) here
https://salsa.debian.org/mutt-team/neomutt/blob/master/curs_main.c#L550

The best would be to create a bug report and if you don't care too much, I
can send the developer the coredump in a *private* mail. He might dig out
something more.

I would guess that one of the thread chains is broken. Does the crash
happen everytime in the same mailbox?

Jörg

--
Damit das Mögliche entsteht, muß immer wieder das Unmögliche versucht
werden.                                       (Hermann Hesse)