segfault causes system freeze

steve dlist at bluewin.ch
Thu Nov 22 06:51:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

Le 21-11-2018, à 17:51:39 -0500, Nathan Stratton Treadway a écrit :

>On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:42:02 +0100, steve wrote:
>> I have a new box for about two months and it appears that each time mutt
>> segfaults, the console freezes and I have to hard stop the machine. Here
>> is what I have in /var/log/kernel.log:
>
>When you say "the console freezes": are you able to log in normally
>using another virtual terminal or ssh session or anything?

No. If switch to another console, and launch a 'ls' for example, the
cursor goes to the line and then nothing happens. Ctlr-x doesn't do
anything. Opening a new one and launching htop for example freeze the
terminal. But was it funny, is that I can firefox still works as
expected. At this stage I normally shutdown the computer physically.

> Or is the
>system fully locked up, no longer responding to pings, etc.?  Does the
>syslog file show any activity at all between the mutt segfault and the
>restart-after-reboot messages?

No, nothing in syslog I think.

>If a Mutt segfault is really able to lock up the system entirely, that
>is a sign of a bigger problem with your kernel and/or hardware (i.e. a
>user process such as Mutt should not be able to lock up the entire
>system, no matter how it crashes).  Tracking down the Mutt coredump may
>help you narrow down what part of the broader system is failing, but
>really it seems like you are trying to figure out what system-wide
>problem Mutt happens to be tickling....

Yes, I think it might be a hardware problem triggered by a mutt
segfault. Still looking around.

Thank you,
Steve