/var/mail/$USER read-only

benfitzg at gmail.com benfitzg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 00:35:34 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 07:13:46PM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 09:25:31PM -0500, benfitzg at gmail.com wrote:
> > My linux mail box is /var/mail/$USER, previously I had read and deleted mails
> > from this mailbox, now I get an error message from mutt, telling me the mailbox
> > is read-only.
>
> It may be that something is wrong with your mutt_dotlock program.  Did
> you configure --with-mailpath=/var/mail?  What are the permissions of
> /var/mail?  Is your mutt_dotlock setgid?
>
> Also you may want to check for a stale lockfile in the /var/mail
> directory.

Hi

thanks, this prompted me to recompile and the install failed. I install as
non-root in a directory. The chgrp/setuid chmod failed on mutt_dotlock.

I'd missed the failure of install-exec-hook in my haste to recompile a couple of
days ago.

I just ran these manually with sudo, all is fixed.

Regards,

--
Ben Fitzgerald