Help testing 1.11 BETA tarball

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Wed Nov 7 02:38:13 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

The 1.11 release is coming up in about three weeks.  This time I'm
trying something different and have prepared a BETA tarball to get
testing/feedback in advance.  The translation files haven't been updated
yet, but the tarball is at: <ftp.mutt.org/pub/mutt/BETA/>.

The long list of changes is at the bottom of this email, but there are
three main features I'd like to especially note for testing/feedback:

1. IMAP CONDSTORE and QRESYNC support.

If your IMAP server supports QRESYNC, please enable $imap_qresync and
$imap_condstore.  (Alas, Gmail users should not do this.  It doesn't
support QRESYNC and enabling CONDSTORE actually appears to slow Gmail
down.)

In theory, QRESYNC should make it much faster to open mailboxes, after
the initial sync.  I've tried to test this with FastMail and Dovecot,
but I don't really use IMAP daily.  It would be nice to hear from
others whether the feature works for you.

How do you test for support?  Enable 'mutt -d 2', connect to the server
and disconnect.  Then peek in ~/.muttdebug0: grep for 'CAPABILITY' and
then for 'QRESYNC' inside those lines.

2. Inotify mailbox monitoring.

This is enabled by default (but can be turned off with
--disable-filemonitor).  This should allow Mutt to notice mailbox
changes much faster.  Note that standard polling still occurs via
$mail_check and $timeout, so inotify overflows shouldn't result in Mutt
failing to notice new mail.

3. Dynamic $index_format content using patterns.

See <https://muttmua.gitlab.io/mutt/manual-dev.html#index-format-hook>
for an explanation and examples.  This is fairly general purpose, but
can be used to dynamically format dates for instance.  I just added
this, so would appreciate some testing.

How to compile
==============

On Debian-derived distros, I recommend
% sudo apt build-dep mutt
% sudo apt install libkyotocabinet-dev

Here's the configuration I use, as a starting point.  If you use
another header cache backend, you'll need to fiddle with the last few
arguments:

% ./configure                   \
    --prefix=/usr/local         \
    --with-mailpath=/var/mail   \
    --enable-debug              \
    --enable-fcntl              \
    --enable-gpgme              \
    --enable-hcache             \
    --enable-imap               \
    --enable-smtp               \
    --enable-pop                \
    --enable-sidebar            \
    --enable-compressed         \
    --with-curses               \
    --with-gnutls               \
    --with-sasl                 \
    --with-gss                  \
    --with-idn2                 \
    --with-mixmaster            \
    --without-gdbm              \
    --without-bdb               \
    --without-qdbm              \
    --without-tokyocabinet      \
    --with-kyotocabinet

You may need to use --with-idn instead, if your system doesn't have a
new IDN2 installed.  Also, note that you may want to remove your old
header cache files when updating, especially if you compiled with a
different backend.

The longer list of updates:
===========================
(though I may have missed a few things)

* inotify mailbox monitoring on Linux

* OAUTHBEARER support for IMAP, SMTP and POP
  See https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/commit/798f749eeeb98ed04028521a2eb3e505c1a83574

* <check-stats> manually updates mailbox statistics, like $mail_check_stats when set

* Thread limited views, e.g. ~(pattern), now show new mail as it arrives.

* -z and -Z options now work for IMAP mailboxes

* IMAP CONDSTORE and QRESYNC support.
  Set $imap_condstore and/or $imap_qresync to try them out.
  Note that GMail doesn't support QRESYNC and enabling CONDSTORE can actually
  make it slower, so please don't enable for GMail.

* $abort_noattach now skips quoted lines (as defined by $quote_regexp and $smileys).

* The initial IMAP message downloading can be aborted with Ctrl-C.

* <compose-to-sender> composes a message to the sender of the selected
  message.  (This also works from the attachment menu)

* Address book queries now support multibyte (multicolumn) output

* pgpring has been renamed to mutt_pgpring.

* Cert prompts now show sha-256 and sha-1

* Non-threaded $sort_aux "reverse-" settings now actually work

* Gnu info formatted documentation is generated.

* index-format-hook and the new %@name@ expando for $index_format all
  dynamic index formats using pattern matching.
  See https://muttmua.gitlab.io/mutt/manual-dev.html#index-format-hook

Thanks everyone!

--
Kevin J. McCarthy