Want to auto_view html, but try text/plain first

Manish Rai Jain manishrjain at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:29:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to render the HTML attachments in my email automatically, using
auto_view. However, I also use alternative_order so it would render any
text/plain attachment first, and only if it is not present, would it render
HTML. Here's my config:

.muttrc
# Viewing
auto_view text/html
alternative_order text/plain text/enriched text/html

.mailcap
text/plain; cat %s; copiousoutput;
text/html; google-chrome-stable %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput;

I also tried setting auto_view to text/plain text/html. But, that just
causes both text and html to render. What am I doing wrong?