Is there a way to record b[ounced] messages in sentmail?

Marcus C. Gottwald mcg at cheers.de
Wed Sep 19 21:02:10 UTC 2018

Chris Green wrote (Wed 2018-Sep-19 17:31:44 +0100):

> > > It would be nice if the b[ounced] message was recorded in my sentmail,
> >
> > Do you immediately need a copy of the bounced message in a specific
> > or local mailbox? If not, adding your own email address to the list
> > of recipients of the bounced message might work.
> >
> It won't get to my sentmail box then though will it, just appears in
> my inbox ...

That is true. An easy way (no Sieve, no procmail) to get your copy of
the bounced email delivered into some other mailbox on the mailserver
could be to use a special destination email address.

> ... and doesn't really show that a message has been sent to the
> other (intended) recipient.

There should be a few extra headers in the bounced email, such as
Resent-From (filled with $from) and Resent-To, so Mutt should be able
to reliably identify these emails. You could get them highlighted in
the index via "color index", use a save-hook for easy filing, etc.

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  <mcg at cheers.de>  ·  https://cheers.de