IMAP mailboxes in the sidebar

Felix Finch felix at crowfix.com
Mon Sep 17 12:44:34 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:26:24PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> Forgive me for asking what may be a stupid question, but have you
> *listed* all the mailboxes in question with a 'mailboxes' command in
> your muttrc?
>
> If so, is there any chance you have something running under a hook that
> is calling unmailboxes?  What happens if you add 'mailboxes foo' to your
> muttrc?
>
> Alternatively you could try enabling $imap_check_subscribed and make
> sure all the relevant mailboxes are subscribed to.

That does it -- sort of:

    mailboxes +INBOX +'All Mail'

It does show those two in teh sidebar.  But "mailboxes" is only for incoming mail:

     This command specifies folders which can receive mail and which will be checked for new messages periodically.

I want all the mailboxes available, as determined by Lookout, in the sidebar, but only INBOX needs to be checked for new mail.  I've tried all combinations of yes and no for these two variables, along with defining "mailboxes" or not, and the only one which matters is "mailboxes".

    set imap_check_subscribed
        When set, mutt will fetch the set of subscribed folders from your server on connection, and add them to the set of mailboxes it polls for new mail just as if you had issued individual “mailboxes” commands.

    set imap_list_subscribed
        This variable configures whether IMAP folder browsing will look for only subscribed folders or all folders.

imap_check_subscribed is not clear to me.  I like the "fetch the set of subscribed folder", but they don't need to be checked for new mail (only INBOX does).

Maybe it is this "subscription" jargon which is tripping me up.  When I use Lookout itself (ugh!), it shows about a dozen mailboxes.  That's what I want mutt to show.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & wood chipper / felix at crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933