Long subject lines

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Sun Aug 19 09:33:35 UTC 2018

On Sunday 19 August 2018 16:52,
Erik Christiansen <dvalin at internode.on.net> put forth the proposition:
> On 19.08.18 03:17, David Woodfall wrote:
> > I sent a message with a rather long subject line earlier and it was
> > split into two lines.
>
> OK, I'm a laggard, still on mutt 1.8.0, but when I compose a three-line
> subject in vim¹, separated by newlines, it is visually _joined_ into a
> single line on return to mutt. Sending it to myself, it is displayed as
> three lines in mutt, but more compact than composed. That may just be
> wrapping of the single line.
>
> The only other MUA I have any familiarity with is ancient "mail", and it
> shows the same for the received message.
>
> > Is there a way to avoid that? I tried setting tw=0 in an autocmd in
> > vim but it still got cut. I checked that tw was still set to 0, so I
> > assume that mutt cuts it before vim opens it.
>
> Seeing three lines in vim being joined to one in mutt, I don't expect
> vim settings to have much effect in the MUA.
>
> > Or is this a limitation of the RFC that subject lines need to be
> > under a certain length?
>
> My simple experiments suggest that it's just mutt joining vim's multiple
> lines into one, then wrapping that for useful display on receipt.
>
> Erik
>
> ¹ edit_headers is set.

It was kind of an xy problem really. My vim function that gets called
when I edit a message needs fixing for subjects of > 1 line. Or it
will drop me in insert mode after the first line, and the second and
any subsequent lines are under that.

Easy to fix anyway, but this is the first time that it's happened so
it was a bit of a surprise.

Dave

--

Never make any mistaeks.
  -- Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//