How to send with charset=iso-8859-1 instead of unknown-8bit?

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Wed Jun 20 17:49:11 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-20 12:16, mutt at raf.org wrote:

> I have some software that invokes mutt (non-interactively) to
> send email with iso-8859-1 body text.

My guess is that mutt looks at the locale environment (LANG and LC_*) to
set the encoding of the source data, and tries to recode it into one
of the encodings in send_charset.

If you _know_ your data is iso-8859-1 but your LANG etc. is something
else, try changing LANG locally in your driver script/program.

BTW, running mutt non-interactively has always seemed strange to me.
Why not use something simpler like mailx, or even /usr/sbin/sendmail?