Bottom posting v top posting

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Thu May 17 22:13:56 UTC 2018

On 17May2018 21:17, Florian Gamböck <ml at floga.de> wrote:
>On 2018-05-17 13:15, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>I've also seen replies come back from people unused to inline response with
>>their reply slap in the middle of the quoted text because they've not added a
>>blank line. I don't know exactly what's happening at their end, but at my end
>>they text appears in the middle of the quoted prose. I should dig into it.
>
>You are right, this can be quite annoying, but it is not necessary
>that those people are not used to inline reply, it is rather that
>their e-mail client might display the reply in a poor way.
>
>When I was using Thunderbird a few years ago, if I composed an e-mail
>with inline reply, then above and beneath my reply, there always was a
>clearly visible gap. However, this gap was only visible in the compose
>window. When looking at the email afterwards in the reader, my reply
>stuck tightly between the quoted message parts, almost impossible to spot if
>you do not accidently stumble upon it. [... compose habits to mitigate this
>...]
>So it is not always the fault of the users alone.

The particular user I had this with isn't at fault, but also a nontechnical
user not used to inline reply. And they are using Thunderbird. Your decription
above does sound like a very flawed disconnect between compose and actualy
view. WYSINWYG I guess.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>