Bottom posting v top posting

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Thu May 17 03:15:33 UTC 2018

On 13May2018 19:53, Florian Gamböck <ml at floga.de> wrote:
>On 2018-05-13 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
>>On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 11:44:49PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>>>The key, I've learned, is to teach them about bottom-posting.
>>>[...]I now try to remember to put "see my responses in-line below" as the
>>>first line of the message.
>>>
>>Yes, I add a line like that sometimes if it's long.  However the
>>other thing to do is to trim/snip heavily so you really do only
>>leave the required context.
>
>To further avoid confusion I make sure to always insert one blank,
>unquoted line between the quote and my reply. So even if someone uses
>a client that HTML formats blockquotes with vertical lines on the
>left, there is always the indicator in form of a vertical gap so my reply will
>not easily being overlooked.

Yes, this is important. Not just for courtesy and etxt clarity, but also for
how other mailers treat the reply.

I've also seen replies come back from people unused to inline response with
their reply slap in the middle of the quoted text because they've not added a
blank line. I don't know exactly what's happening at their end, but at my end
they text appears in the middle of the quoted prose. I should dig into it.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>