Bottom posting v top posting

José María Mateos chema at rinzewind.org
Sun May 13 15:48:18 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 09:52:23AM +1000, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
> Posting to this list yesterday and a recent incident with my partner,
> prompts me to raise the issue of bottom posting. For a long time, mutters
> have fought battles and wars to get everybody to bottom post. It makes a lot
> of sense, but we have lost every battle and every war. I now only bottom
> post to emails on this list. I also never ever see bottom posting in all the
> hundreds of emails I get every week, other than posts to the mutt lists.

I don't think it's only mutters who do this. I participate in a bunch of
mailing lists, and in the technical ones (essentially: Python, R,
sqlite) people respect the bottom-post, trim reply, no HTML "classical"
netiquette instructions. On others, people just top-post happily; on one
of those lists, I checked yesterday out of curiosity, the last e-mail in
a chain of replies contained one new line and the entire message was 45K
in size. This [1] is 65K, in comparison.

Gmail is quickly becoming Hotmail.

Even on those lists, I bottom-post. I edit what I am replying to and
answer paragraph by paragraph if necessary. I don't do it out of "this
is how things should be done", but because I think it helps getting my
point across. It's good writing. So far, nobody has complained.

This I do with my personal e-mail. At the work, where everybody uses
Outlook and top-posting is the norm, I just go with the flow. But the
purposes of sending an e-mail there and sending an e-mail here are
different.

Cheers,

[1] https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/17192/pg17192.txt

--