Bottom posting v top posting

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Sun May 13 03:23:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-13 09:52, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:

> Posting to this list yesterday and a recent incident with my partner,
> prompts me to raise the issue of bottom posting. For a long time,
> mutters have fought battles and wars to get everybody to bottom
> post. It makes a lot of sense, but we have lost every battle and every
> war. I now only bottom post to emails on this list. I also never ever
> see bottom posting in all the hundreds of emails I get every week,
> other than posts to the mutt lists.

I am on some 30+ lists, and I'd estimate bottom posting is the norm on
25.  It is true that gmail users are a small minority on all of them.

I also bottom post with some of my best friends who _are_ gmail users,
and they don't object.  But I think they use computers for email, not
phones.

To sum up, the vision you have of almost everybody using phones may be
the future, but is not yet the present, and I resist accelerating the
transition.