choices on reading HTML emails

leo leo at autistici.org
Thu May 3 06:46:12 UTC 2018

On 10 apr 15:57, Yubin Ruan wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone share some approaches for reading HTML emails.
> Currenlty I use w3m:
>
>     text/html; w3m -I %{charset} -T text/html; copiousoutput;
>
> But sometimes I receive some HTML mails which can not be handled that
> well by w3m, so I want to open that html attachment in a browser. How
> can I switch between?

In according to this discussion [1] I use this strategy:
By default I read html email in mutt (with elinks).
When the message can not be handled well by elinks I hit "v", I choose
the html part and I watch it with firefox.

This is the part in my muttrc:

bind  attach  <return>  view-mailcap
alternative_order text/plain text/html
unauto_view *
auto_view text/html

And this the mailcap:

text/html;  firefox %s;
text/html;  elinks -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Cheers leo

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/06/msg00554.html

--
leo
GPG Fingerprint: A512 4B1C D217 BA09 7551 B4B1 47AF B00C EE84 B613