Mail-Followup-To (was Re: breaking long header lines into 2 (or more) lines)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Apr 25 20:15:33 UTC 2018

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día miércoles, abril 25, 2018 a las 08:56:26p. m. +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:
>
>> El día miércoles, abril 25, 2018 a las 02:46:06p. m. -0400, Patrick Shanahan escribió:
>>
>>> then you have someone in your system makeing changes to your posts,
>>
>> the 'system' is a FreeBSD netbook using mutt+sendmail;
>>
>> I will Cc me on this mail to see its sent headers;
>
> The outgoing mails contains a header line:

> Who adds this? mutt by its own? If so, based on what?

Quoting http://mutt.org/doc/manual/#followup-to

    3.72. followup_to

    Type: boolean
    Default: yes

    Controls whether or not the “Mail-Followup-To:” header
    field is generated when sending mail. When set, Mutt
    will generate this field when you are replying to a
    known mailing list, specified with the “subscribe” or
    “lists” commands.

    This field has two purposes. First, preventing you from
    receiving duplicate copies of replies to messages which
    you send to mailing lists, and second, ensuring that you
    do get a reply separately for any messages sent to known
    lists to which you are not subscribed.

    The header will contain only the list's address for
    subscribed lists, and both the list address and your own
    email address for unsubscribed lists. Without this
    header, a group reply to your message sent to a
    subscribed list will be sent to both the list and your
    address, resulting in two copies of the same email for
    you.

That's why Kevin suggested setting 'subscribe' for the mutt
list in your config.

The 'honor_followup_to' variable is related, relevant for
mutt users replying to messages with a 'Mail-Follup-To:'
header.

--
Todd
The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to