choices on reading HTML emails

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:34:34 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-10, Yubin Ruan <ablacktshirt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone share some approaches for reading HTML emails.
[...]
> But sometimes I receive some HTML mails which can not be handled
> that well by w3m, so I want to open that html attachment in a
> browser. How can I switch between?

I have my mailcap entry set up so that "viewing" an html message uses
w3m but "printing" an html message opens it in chromium:

  $ fgrep text/html ~/.mailcap

  text/html; w3m -T text/html -dump; copiousoutput; print = chromiumurl %s;

  $ cat ~/bin/chromiumurl

  #!/bin/bash
  URL="$1"
  test -f "$URL" && URL="file://$URL"
  expr match "$URL" '.*://.*' >/dev/null || URL="http://$URL"
  exec chromium "$URL"

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Am I elected yet?
                                  at