Reply with another email as attachment?

Scott Kostyshak skostyshak at ufl.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:01:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:48:56PM +0000, David Woodfall wrote:
> I have recently been in a discussion with a tech support person about
> some emails that I have been receiving and I was asked to attach one
> of them to a test email that she sent me.
>
> I couldn't find how to do that, apart from actually finding the file
> and attaching it that way. When I pressed 'a' to attach and then '?'
> for a list I had a list of my folders up, but mutt wouldn't let me enter
> them and gave a 'couldn't attach <dirname>' error.
>
> Is there a way of doing this?

I have no idea if the following is good advice or not, but I'll mention
it and let you investigate, unless the other method works well for you.

You can "bounce" an email with the "b" key. The advantage of this is
that I believe the recipient will see the email just as you saw it. i.e.
all of the headers will be the same. When you attach an email (as per
the other solution), I'm not sure the headers are preserved. The
disadvantage is that the email will look strange if the person is not
expecting it (because the To: header will be to you!), so you should
always warn the recipient (in my case, usually a tech team).

Best,

Scott

--
Scott Kostyshak