pkg-config usage for sqlite3

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Tue Aug 13 13:46:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 07:42:19AM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:
>I can see that mutt can already use Berkely DB, GDBM, lmdb or qdbm for
>caching headers.  Wouldn't be possible to use one of them for autocrypt
>key storage?

I did consider that, but the implementation uses more than simple
key-value storage capability, and I anticipated the need for more
flexibility than those engines (as a common denominator) provide.

With the header cache, when we make changes to Mutt data structures, the
whole cache is invalidated.  A SQL database gives us the ability to
version the schema and modify the tables without losing data.

>Or maybe vice versa implement header caching using sqlite3. Some people
>get nervous when they see a program links to multiple libraries of the
>same class of use.  People packaging software do not like it. An
>abundance of dependencies increases a maintanance cost.

This seems possible.  I wonder how the performance would compare.  I'll
put it on my todo list, but not for this cycle.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy