Autocrypt

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Tue Aug 13 00:38:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 04:13:16PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
>The base64 keydata is stored in the sqlite3 database once the account
>is created.  Updating the key in gpg subsequent to that won't have an
>effect on the keydata.
>
>Make sure to remove the account (via <autocrypt-acct-menu>) and
>recreate it if you modify or re-import the key.

By the way, when I first implemented autocrypt, that seemed like a good
idea.  The ECC keys were all generated by Mutt and should be unchanging.

However, now with other keys coming into the equation, it seems like
this could become a pain point.  Do you think it would be better to add
a warning to the documentation, or to change to regenerate (export and
base64) the data for each Autocrypt header generation.

On the plus side, it actually gives you some flexibility if you wanted
to take advantage of it.  You could create a different base64 export of
the same keyid, each with a single uid, and store it right in the
database with some work.  That would massively trim the size of your
Autocrypt header down while still being able to use the same keyid for
each.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy