Autocrypt

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Sun Aug 11 20:44:53 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 10:24:42PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
>The minimal public key of multiple UIDs written as autocrypt keydata in
>my case is 15kB, quite large as mail overhead.  I guess there's no way
>to reduce that somehow?

Ouch, that's pretty excessive.  When generating the Base64 keydata for
the header, Mutt uses gpgme_op_export_keys() with the
GPGME_EXPORT_MODE_MINIMAL flag.  I don't think there's much more Mutt
can do as the keydata is supposed to have the uid field.

>Command line gnupg has filter options like
>
>  gpg --export --export-options export-minimal --export-filter keep-uid="mbox=foo at example.com" 0xKEYID
>
>which ends up with 3kB Ascii-armored per uid.

It might be worth doing this when copying over and trimming down the uid
list as much as possible.

>Just due to rebuilding the header cache once without explicitly
>switching it off for an autocrypt scan.
>
>> While there will be *some* slowdown due to Autocrypt, it shouldn't
>> be that noticeable.
>
>I didn't notice a negative impact on regular mail use.

That's good to hear.  The past year I've switched over to SSD and was
worried I might be blind to normal disk access issues.  sqlite3 should
have acceptable performance for this usage though.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy