Autocrypt

Kevin J. McCarthy kevin at 8t8.us
Fri Aug 9 21:31:55 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 11:14:06PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
>>It's selecting a key from the keyring in $autocrypt_dir.
>
>But that's just after it created the $autocrypt_dir so there's nothing
>to select from.. I would had expected it offers to select from the
>general gnupg keyring.

The "first run" account creation process can take place even if
$autocrypt_dir already exists.  Account creation also can take place
from the <autocrypt-acct-menu>.  This feature is to allow using the same
key across multiple accounts, or to use a key that *you* have imported
yourself.

I've updated the documentation at
<https://muttmua.gitlab.io/mutt/manual-dev.html#autocryptdoc> to make
this specific, and added a section "Alternative Key and Keyring
Strategies" to discuss the ways and caveats of sharing keys or keyrings.

>>This is likely because the changes to Mutt data structures (to add the
>>autocrypt fields) invalidated the header cache.  I didn't mention it
>>in the docs because that would make the issue more confusing.
>
>I'll plan for two mugs of coffee when I throw this against IMAP with
>folders of 60000-80000 messages.. :-P

Are you seeing horrific performance specifically because of the
autocrypt header scanning, or just in general due to having to rebuild
the header cache?  While there will be *some* slowdown due to Autocrypt,
it shouldn't be that noticeable.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy